Caroline Garcia has been one of the most promising young talents in tennis for a while now. The 22-year-old Frenchwoman has already won two WTA titles and has reached a career-high ranking of World No. 29.
Garcia is known for her powerful groundstrokes and aggressive playing style. She is also very popular with the fans thanks to her bubbly personality and great sense of humor.
Here are 15 things you may not know about Caroline Garcia:
1. Garcia was born in Saint-Germain-en-Laye, France, on October 16, 1993.
2. Her father, Louis Paul Garcia, is a Spanish former professional footballer who played for several clubs in France, including Paris Saint-Germain and Olympique de Marseille.
3. Her mother, Leslie, is a former professional tennis player from the United States.
4. Garcia has two older sisters, Julie and Stephanie. Both of them are also professional tennis players.
5. Garcia started playing tennis at the age of six. She was coached by her father until she was 16.
6. Garcia’s favorite surface is clay and her favorite shot is the backhand down-the-line.
7. Garcia’s idol growing up was French tennis legend Amelie Mauresmo.
8. Garcia turned pro in 2010 and won her first WTA title at the 2014 Ladies Open Biel/Bienne in Switzerland.
9. Garcia reached her first Grand Slam quarterfinal at the 2017 French Open. She defeated World No. 1 Angelique Kerber in the fourth round before losing to eventual champion Simona Halep.
10. Garcia’s best result at a Major tournament came at the 2018 Wimbledon Championships, where she reached the semifinals before losing to Serena Williams in straight sets.
11. Garcia has won two WTA doubles titles, both with Kristina Mladenovic. They were victorious at the 2015 Coupe Rogers in Montreal and the 2016 BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells.
12. Garcia was part of the French team that won the Fed Cup in 2016 and 2019. She has a 13-3 record in singles and a 4-1 record in doubles in the competition.
13. Garcia was named the WTA’s Most Improved Player of the Year in 2017.
14. Garcia reached a career-high singles ranking of World No. 7 in October 2018. She is currently ranked World No. 29.
15. Garcia has dated fellow French tennis player Lucas Pouille since 2016. The couple got engaged in 2019 and have a daughter named Nina, who was born in 2020.