Guillermo Del Toro is a Mexican filmmaker known for his captivating horror and fantasy films. His works have been praised by both critics and audiences worldwide, earning him multiple awards including several Academy Awards. Here are 15 secrets about this celebrated director that you may not have known:
1. Guillermo Del Toro was fascinated by monsters from an early age. He used to stay up late at night watching classic monster movies such as Frankenstein and Dracula, which inspired him to become a filmmaker.
2. Del Toro’s favorite movie of all time is The Thief of Bagdad (1940). He has explained that its mix of adventure, comedy and awe-inspiring special effects makes it the perfect film for him.
3. Del Toro is a huge comic book fan and often references them in his films. He even wrote the script for Blade II (2002), which was based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name.
4. Del Toro is an avid collector of props from his own films, as well as other classic horror movies. His collection includes The Pale Man puppet from Pan’s Labyrinth (2006) and Michael Myers’ mask from Halloween (1978).
5. In addition to collecting props, Del Toro also collects books about monsters and supernatural beings such as vampires and ghosts.
6. As a child, Del Toro was diagnosed with astigmatism and had to wear thick glasses in order to see properly. After surgery, he no longer needed glasses and was able to pursue his dream of becoming a filmmaker.
7. Del Toro is a huge fan of Japanese monster movies, particularly those from the Godzilla franchise. He even wrote an episode for the animated television series The Simpsons (1992-present) based on one of his favorite films from the franchise, Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964).
8. Del Toro’s love for monsters extends beyond cinema, as he is also a big fan of H.P. Lovecraft’s stories about creatures such as Cthulhu and Yog–Sothoth. His familiarity with Lovecraftian lore can be seen in some of his films such as Hellboy (2004).
9. Del Toro is an outspoken advocate for Mexican filmmakers and has used his films to honor Mexican culture and heritage. In addition, he has created several programs in Mexico that help young filmmakers develop their skills and make their way into the film industry.
10. Del Toro is also a major advocate for animal rights, particularly those of endangered species such as sharks and tigers. He is a staunch supporter of marine conservation efforts and has donated money to numerous organizations working to protect marine life around the world.
11. Del Toro’s visual style often incorporates elements from art nouveau, which he credits with giving his films an ethereal quality. This combination of horror, fantasy and art nouveau can be seen in his latest project The Shape of Water (2017).
12. Del Toro is a big believer in the power of dreams and often uses them as a source of inspiration for his films. He has even revealed that some of the monsters from his movies were based on creatures he dreamed about as a child.
13. Despite being an international celebrity, Del Toro still lives in Mexico and works to promote Mexican culture across the world. In 2017, he was named the ambassador of Mexico’s Ministry of Culture and Tourism in order to bring attention to Mexico’s many attractions.
14. Del Toro is also an avid fan of video games, having worked on several projects including Silent Hill (1999) and Pacific Rim (2013). He has expressed interest in making a full-length video game in the future.
15. Del Toro is a master of horror, but he has also successfully ventured into other genres such as science fiction and fantasy. He even won an Academy Award for Best Director for his work on The Shape of Water (2017). His success proves that he can tackle any genre with ease.
This is just a small glimpse into the vast and impressive career of filmmaker Guillermo Del Toro. With his passion for horror, fantasy and science fiction, as well as his dedication to Mexican culture, Del Toro has proven himself to be one of the most influential figures in contemporary cinema. He continues to amaze audiences worldwide with his unique vision and remarkable storytelling ability. Despite all that he has accomplished, it seems like there are still plenty of secrets left to uncover about this masterful storyteller. It stands to reason that we have yet to discover the full extent of his genius.